I. JOB SUMMARY:
The Development Director is responsible for leading the fundraising efforts of NLCV’s 501c4, including membership building, major donor cultivation, business sponsorships and event planning. The Development Director is also responsible for NCEF’s 501c3 foundation and major donor fundraising and for providing support to other staff and board members in their fundraising work.
II. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Direct organization’s development planning and evaluation.
- Work with NLCV’s staff and Board Development Committee to create and oversee organizational development plans.
- Work with staff and Board of Directors on implementing fundraising strategies.
- Work with the Board’s Executive Committee and Executive Director to create organizational budgets.
- Evaluate and track fundraising program results, and develop strategies to improve fundraising performance.
Coordinate major donor program.
- Together with Executive Director and Deputy Director, set annual major donor goals, cultivation and stewardship activities, and re-solicitation strategies. .
- Manage call time for personal visit setup and direct solicitation over the phone for Executive Director and Deputy Director
- Build strong and enduring relationships with board members, current major donors, foundation program officers and prospects through intentional cultivation and stewardship
- Identify, research and qualify new major donor prospects.
- Upgrade membership level donors to major donors through personal visits and phone calls.
- Initiate contact and set up meetings for new and current major donors with Board members and staff.
Manage foundation fundraising
- Work with NLCV’s staff and Board to identify foundation prospects.
- Prepare grant proposals and reports.
- Manage the granting calendar and ensure timely submission of grant proposals and reports.
Direct membership/supporters program.
- Develop and oversee implementation of annual membership plan, which will include:
- Maintaining and implementing system for renewing current members, including mailings, phoning, thank you letters and database record keeping.
- Maintaining and implementing a system for prospecting potential new members.
- Maintain and implement online giving and membership growth.
Oversee annual fundraising event and coordinate business giving
- Coordinate all fundraising aspects of annual fundraising event
- Work with event team to solicit business sponsorships.
- Evaluate creative ways to raise money from event.
Assist with organizational marketing.
- Contribute to production, mailing and timelines for newsletters.
- Coordinate productions and mailing of annual reports.
- Coordinate production of other marketing materials as needed (i.e. brochures, holiday cards, etc.).
III. JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience required
- At least one year in campaign or non-profit fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience and success in nonprofit fundraising, including major donor development and writing online and direct mail fundraising appeals.
- Experience writing grant proposals and grant reports.
- Strong communication skills including writing and public speaking.
- Experience with fundraising software.
- Previous experience planning and executing events.
- Attention to detail and strong organization skills a must.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to build and direct the project and its programs.
- Commitment to the goals, mission and vision of NLCV.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet deadlines and be part of a team working toward a common goal.
IV. WORKING CONDITIONS
- Based in Lincoln.
- Some travel is necessary.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Team player: Given the small size of the organization, the Development Director will be expected to fulfill program responsibilities and other duties as needed.
- Fast-paced and requires juggling multiple projects and meeting deadlines (in return we provide some flexibility).
V. SALARY RANGE
Commensurate with experience.
VII. TO APPLY:
NLCV will accept resumes until February 14, 2018, or when the position is filled. Please send a cover letter, your resume and a writing sample via email or mail to:
Nebraska League of Conservation Voters, attention: Chelsea Johnson